nanog mailing list archives

Re: Never push the Big Red Button (New York City subway failure)

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:54:23 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Thompson" <athompson () merlin mb ca>

Now I'm curious... in all of the DCs and COs I've worked in - to the best of my
knowledge, I haven't personally tested this! - the EPO button does not switch
to emergency power.  It turns off ALL equipment power in the space - no lights,
no klaxons, nothing.  In simpler setups, the EPO is connected to the UPS so
anything plugged in to the UPS does dark instantly.  In one DC I'm familiar
with, the EPO switch kills all the UPS output and uses several relays to kill
commercial power at the same time.
In some, the room lights were not covered by the EPO switch, in some they were.
Emergency exit lamps will continue to be lit, as they have internal batteries,
and are required by building/fire code.

Is it (somewhat) common for an EPO switch to only disconnect commercial power
and leave local redundant power live?  What sort of facilities would have this?

No... I just hadn't had my coffee yet that morning and I crossed the streams.

That should be the response to the *ATS cutover*, not the Molly switch.

If someone hits the Molly button, you don't *need* an alarm.  :-}

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com