nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 10:39:39 -0800

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM John Curran <jcurran () istaff org> wrote:
There’s this organization called the Internet Engineering Task Force that has been working hard to establish
long-term financial independence and stability via the IETF Endowment project <https://www.ietf.org/endowment/> –

Several of the Internet community organizations have made substantial contributions to this goal, but much more will
be needed if the IETF is to achieve long-term funding stability.  Speaking entirely in my own personal capacity, I
believe that long-term financial stability of the IETF is an extremely worthwhile goal for all of us to support and –
to the extent that somehow changes to the IPv4 address specification result in a financial upside – I believe that
the IETF Endowment would be a very appropriate beneficiary.

Hi John,

That has some clever layers of subtlety to it. Instead of the IETF
having to decide when the IPv4 changes have a wide enough deployment
to release the addresses for use, they can simply make them available
for sale with proceeds to the endowment. When would-be buyers decide
they're good enough they'll be bought and used.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin