nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:59:36 -0800

On 11/19/21 7:38 AM, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:
Actually, CIDR didn’t require upgrading every end-node, just some of them.

That’s what made it doable… Updating only routers, not end-nodes.

Another thing that made it doable is that there were a LOT fewer end-nodes
and a much smaller vendor space when it came to the source of routers
that needed to be updated.

Further, in the CIDR deployment days, routers were almost entirely still
CPU-switched rather than ASIC or even line-card switched. Heck, the
workhorse backbone router that stimulated the development of CIDR
was built on an open-standard Mutlibus backplane with a MIPS CPU
IIRC. That also made widespread software updates a much simpler
proposition. Hardly anyone had a backbone router that was older than
an AGS (in fact, even the AGS was relatively rare in favor of the AGS+).

I don't think you can overstate how ASIC's made changing anything pretty much impossible. I'm not sure exactly then the cut over to ASIC's started to happen in the 90's, but once it did it was pretty much game over for ipv6. Instead of slipping an implementation into a release train and see what happens, it was getting buy in from a product manager that had absolutely no interest in respinning silicon. I remember when Deering and I were talking to the GSR folks (iirc) and it was hopeless since it would have to use the software path and nobody was going to buy a GSR for its software path.

It's why all of the pissing and moaning about what ipv6 looked like completely missed the point. There was a fuse lit in 1992 to when the first hardware based routing was done. *Anything* that extended the address space would have been better.

Mike