nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 22:00:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Mike Lyon wrote:
since it appears we are arbitrarily pulling random numbers out of our asses
for "minimums?"

I would love to see an experiment where the CEOs of the major communication companies were forced to use only their "lifeline" products for 30 days, including only their "lifeline" customer service lines.

Based on the CEOs experience, then we might have some data whether those products are viable for modern households, work-from-home, home-school, streaming.

One of the problems with the product definitions: the "minimum" is treated as the "maximum" (up to speed). The actual bandwidth delivered is often much less than the advertised "up to" numbers.

E.g. advertised 25 mbps /3 mbps => actual 7 mbps/768 kbps with data caps