nanog mailing list archives

Re: Parler

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 10:37:00 -0800

On 1/10/21 10:21 AM, William Herrin wrote:
On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com> wrote:
I'd say it starts to be "inconvenient approaching impossible" only at
the point where you begin to use Cloudformation — or when you don't
have automated deployment at all.  While the provisioning tools are
provider agnostic, a move from a provider to a provider would take
days at most.
Hi Töma,

Are you sure about that? Consider your database. Suppose you want to
run your primary database in AWS with a standby replica in Azure. As
long as you install your own database software in both, you can do
that. But if you want to leverage AWS' RDS products too, you're mostly
out of luck.

Is RDS based on something else? I find it hard to believe that they wrote a rdb from scratch. But yes, once they own your db they own you. I've looked before how to migrate from mysql to postgres and was shocked at how little there seems to be out there to even do even the easier stuff let alone the proprietary extensions.

Mike