nanog mailing list archives

Re: Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:43:11 -0800 (PST)

----- On Feb 17, 2021, at 11:21 AM, nanog <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

Hi,

Using the sample bill on the GA power website you linked, I see a bottom line
price of $76.17 for 606 kWh delivered to the customer. That is effectively
12.57 cents per kWh.

Utilities (both investor owned and coops) have a multitude of ways of hiding the
effective price in a variety of fixed and variable fees not included in the
nominal 'energy' fee. These include mandatory fixed connection fees and also
fuel cost recovery fees that are tied to consumption.

Exactly. In a message earlier today which is held and presumably lost due to moderation, I shared screenshots of an
actual bill of mine here in California.

Long story short, using that bill I show that I paid a grand total of $239.14 for 656.928 KwH of electricity. That
makes 36.4 cents per KwH.

In addition to that, I also shared another bill, where I paid $2.63 for the privilige of providing the net with 31.993
KwH of energy. That's right. My solar panels produced more power than I consumed and I still sponsored the crooks at
PG&E.

Utility companies are worse than airlines when it comes to hidden fees and surcharges. They know we have no choice.

The only reason I want more solar panels is to give a bigger middle finger to PG&E. Nothing is a better motivator to go
green than to see PG&E go bankrupt. It's a sad state of affairs when the disgust for the utility company's deceptive
practices somehow outweighs the need to save the planet. Yet here we are.
Thanks,

Sabri