nanog mailing list archives

Re: DoD IP Space

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 06:13:12 +0200

On 2/10/21 19:50, Doug Barton wrote:

I also reject the premise that any org, no matter how large, needs to uniquely number every endpoint. When I was doing IPAM for a living, not allowing the workstations in Tucson to talk to the printers in Singapore was considered a feature.

Preventing communication exchange between devices does not have to be driven by their IP addressing.

I even had one customer who wanted the printers to all have the same (1918) IP address in every office because they had a lot of sales people who traveled between offices who couldn't handle reconfiguring every time they visited a new location. I thought it was a little too precious personally, but the customer is always right.  :)

It's 2021 - Bonjour. You're welcome :-).

Mark.