nanog mailing list archives

Re: questions about ARIN ipv6 allocation

From: John Curran <jcurran () arin net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 19:28:40 +0000

On 6 Dec 2021, at 2:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com<mailto:owen () delong com>> wrote:
On Dec 5, 2021, at 9:03 AM, John Curran <jcurran () arin net<mailto:jcurran () arin net>> wrote:

Owen -

The RSA and LRSA agreements are identical, however, it is true that you would lose legacy holder resource status (for
those IPv4 resources issued to you before ARIN’s formation) if you consolidate to a single Org with one bill under the
RSA.

I see no difference in the status of legacy holder resources vs. resources.

I care not about that.

However, there is (to some extent) a limit on how badly the board can elect to screw me financially year over year in
the LRSA which simply does not exist in the RSA. To claim that an agreement which limits my fee increases year over
year to $25 is identical to an agreement which has no cap on fee increases is ludicrous at best, and certainly a bit
disingenuous, if not worse.

Owen -

If you value the $25 per year cap in fee change, then feel free maintain a separate LRSA for your legacy resource
services. If you’d prefer to consolidate under a single RSA and pay a single fee based on the larger IPv4 or IPv6
category based on total holdings in each, that’s also available to you – the choice is yours.  If you choose to
consolidate, then you will indeed have to pay the same fees as everyone else – even if a hypothecated future change to
the fee schedule for that service category is greater than $25 annual.  If you consider paying the same fee as other
ARIN customers for your legacy resource services to be a form of hardship, then maintain a separate LRSA agreement for
them if you wish,

Back to the question raised in the original post:  organizations that just have ARIN IPv4 number resources can obtain a
corresponding-sized IPv6 block without increasing their registration services category and corresponding ARIN annual
fee.

Please direct followups on ARIN fee structure back to the ARIN-ppml mailing list as this thread is wandering far afield
from the issue raised by the original post.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO