nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 12:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Aug 30, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Rubens Kuhl rubensk () gmail com wrote:

Hello Rubens,

First and foremost, I appreciate that you're keeping it civil.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 2:35 PM Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net> wrote:

The learned people on this list do not strike me as the kind of person to
go out and engage in vigilante justice if a court decides against them. The
very fabric of our civilized society depends on us resolving our conflicts
in court, not out on the (virtual) streets. You may disagree with a ruling
but I implore you to respect it.

As previously mentioned, this is about something that doesn't involve
a court ruling, at least not yet, but a seizure request made by the
party to attack the sustainability of the RIR. Rulings that people
disagree have their own way inside the court system to be dealt with.

I really, really don't want to upset Mel more than he already is, but Owen
shared a link with an actual order of the court. After "consideration of the
affidavit" the court allowed "up to" $50 million to be frozen. Whatever the
merits of the affidavit are, it indicates that the court looked at the facts,
made a determination and based on that ordered the asset freeze. That sounds
like a (preliminary) ruling to me. I don't necessarily agree with it due to
the implications it has on African internet operations, and, as Mark rightfully
brought up, all the employment that depends on it, but I have to respect it.

And don't get me wrong: I am not informed enough as to the dispute itself so
I'm unable to form an opinion on who is right and who is wrong here. People
whom I deeply respect on this list are on opposite sides so that adds to the
confusion. I am, however, concerned with the operational implications. That's
why I donated to the keep-Afrinic-alive-fund.

I've ran an RBL for years, which many people used. It closed down more than
a decade ago. Out of 100 DNS queries I logged just now with a quick tcpdump
on one of my three DNS servers, I counted 51 for rbl.cluecentral.net. That's
why I'm advocating to reconsider your carpet-bombing (filter into oblivion)
recommendation. People don't remove them.

Thanks,

Sabri