nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 01:07:23 +0200

On Aug 28, 2021, at 12:48 AM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com> wrote:
just to point out it is not just one guy but a whole region doing business like that.

You’re saying a whole region consists of parties who don’t route IP traffic?

If not, you’re making a false equivalency.

In the RIPE region we had a run with many parties that created fake LIRs to get an extra /22 assignment.

That’s unfortunate, and I hope RIPE revokes any allocations which were made under false pretenses and are being
currently used in ways that violate RIPE’s current policies.  As AfriNIC does.

Did they steal that any less than this guy?

I believe the blocks in question are:

154.80.0.0/12
45.192.0.0/12
156.224.0.0/11
154.192.0.0/11

So, yes, 6,144 times less.

This guy is a small fish compared to the robbery done by so many others.

If you know of someone who’s fraudulently acquired _more_ than 6.3M IPv4 addresses, and is profiting from their being
used in contravention of RIR policy, I very much encourage you to request that your RIR perform a compliance audit.

Since, after all, that’s what the RIR’s job is.

                                -Bill