nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 16:58:07 -0400

On 8/27/21 4:30 PM, John Curran wrote:>
ARIN does not normally comment on disputes or related litigation occurring
at another RIR, but this matter has become quite different, as it is both
highly public and has potential for significant impact to the overall
stability of the Internet number registry system and thus to ARIN and its
community.

Perhaps what's needed is for parties to be able to move their allocations to a
different RIR if they don't like the service their incumbent RIR is providing.

I’d expect that for a court to freeze assets of AFRINIC there must be a
very strong argument.

Indeterminate at this time, since a “Freezing Order" issued via ex party
hearing doesn’t actually test the strength of the arguments, as the
affected party is not present to respond.  It is only when the case for the
validation of the order is heard that the strength of the arguments could
possibly be assessed.  Note - the full list of cases filed are here
<https://afrinic.net/court-cases <https://afrinic.net/court-cases>> for
reference.

That's interesting, but that normally one would expect the bar for such and
ex-parte order to be high.

I'm not familiar with the Mauritius legal system; I do know it's some
combination of common law and french law, but it's generally stable/impartial
for business law.  What we really need is a groklaw-type that could take this
up.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice