nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Community - AS0 is de-facto "no-export-to" marker - Any ASN reserved to "export-only-to"?'

From: Mark Tinka via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 10:11:12 +0200

On 9/Sep/20 10:03, Jeff Tantsura via NANOG wrote:

De-facto standards are as good as people implementing them, however in
order to enforce non ambiguous implementations, it has to be de-jure
(e.g. a standard track RFC).
While I’m sympathetic to the idea, I’m quite skeptical about its
viability.
A well written BCP would be much more valuable, and perhaps when we
get to a critical mass, codification would be a natural process,
rather than artificially enforcing people doing stuff they don’t see
value (ROI) in, discussion here perfectly reflects the state of art.

This.

Mark.