nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Community - AS0 is de-facto "no-export-to" marker - Any ASN reserved to "export-only-to"?'

From: Jeff Tantsura via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 10:03:26 +0200

De-facto standards are as good as people implementing them, however in order to enforce non ambiguous implementations,
it has to be de-jure (e.g. a standard track RFC).
While I’m sympathetic to the idea, I’m quite skeptical about its viability.
A well written BCP would be much more valuable, and perhaps when we get to a critical mass, codification would be a
natural process, rather than artificially enforcing people doing stuff they don’t see value (ROI) in, discussion here
perfectly reflects the state of art.

Cheers,
Jeff