nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hurricane Electric AS6939

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 20:01:28 -0400

On 10/13/20 7:29 PM, Aaron Gould wrote:
Do y’all like HE for Internet uplink?  I’m thinking about using them for 100gig in Texas.  It would be for my eyeballs
ISP.  We currently have Spectrum, Telia and Cogent.

They're a good bulk/budget option in a blend. A decent number of content hosts are keen to source traffic into them. I would be loathe to be single-homed to them, but even then they're not the worst option in that department.

If you've already got Telia, Spectrum, and Cogent, 6939 is probably a great addition to your blend.

They'll probably want a 5yr contract out of you to get their best (and headline per-Mbps) rate. Evaluate carefully what position that puts you in based on the continually dropping cost of wholesale transit and bulk interconnect opportunities. You may prefer a shorter contract term at slightly higher rates.

As others said, if you don't need full routes from them, they have a VERY open peering policy, and that 100G port might be better suited to a local IX where you can pick them up along with a bunch of other content networks.
--
Brandon Martin