nanog mailing list archives

Re: netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:26:08 +0200

On 29/Jun/20 07:34, Owen DeLong wrote:
Personally, I’d like to see the Netflix UI upgraded so that you could have the option of indexing all content
(whether you could view it or not) and each time you clicked on something you weren’t allowed to view, it provided
contact information for the responsible party setting the restriction. Unfortunately, I suspect that the majority of
users wouldn’t enjoy this opportunity for commercial activism, so I understand why Netflix doesn’t do this.

Amazon (sort of) do this, which is why I cancelled their Video service
here in Johannesburg. It will show you what's in the library, but when
you play it, it will tell you that it's not available for your region.
If they could add the "commercial activism" button, I'd be okay to lose
5 seconds pressing it.

There are too many moving parts for Netflix to reliably build code that
could determine that an HE tunnel is coming from the right place content
owners mandate their media be distributed to. That code would end up
getting unwieldy, taking up too much time and becoming a full-time job.

Since Netflix are sinking more and more cash into their own content
every year, to me, that seems like a better long-term solution.

Mark.