nanog mailing list archives

Re: netflix proxy/unblocker false detection

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 15:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

----- On Jun 26, 2020, at 3:39 PM, nanog nanog () nanog org wrote:

On 6/26/20 1:42 PM, Sabri Berisha wrote:

I'm also sure that in the past, enough people have abused their
trust.

I question the veracity of that statement.

I for one, have been guilty of that. Using VPN when I was traveling
abroad to access the series I was following.

... to the best of their abilities.

I highly doubt the agreements that Netflix's has with content owners
state that Hurricane Electric (et al.) must be blocked.  Maybe I'm
wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time today.

I believe that Netflix is choosing the lower / easier road and simply
blocking Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels as an easy / low hanging
fruit option to achieve the contractual requirements.

In order to enforce geographical content restrictions, the origin of
a request must be determined. If that origin is a known tunneling
address, you are unable to determine the true geographical position
of that particular client. In that case, it is impossible for Netflix
to determine that the viewer is in a location authorized to view the
content.

Since they know that HE's IPv6 broker range is most likely being
tunneled, and they know that there is no way to accurately determine
the true origin of the client, the must prevent it from accessing the
content. It's not like HE can insert an X-Origin-GEOIP: x.x.x.x or
something.

False positives (meaning, people being denied while being in-region), are going
to be an unwelcome side-effect.

Without seeing actual licenses to support "you must block Hurricane
Electric", I'm going to choose to disagree with the license scapegoat.

We'll never be privvy to those license agreements. All we'll know is
that they'll most likely include geographical restrictions.

Thanks,

Sabri