nanog mailing list archives

Re: Partial vs Full tables

From: Robert Blayzor <rblayzor.bulk () inoc net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:36:23 -0400

On 6/10/20 6:01 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
Am I correct in assuming loose mode RPF only drops packets from
unannounced address space in the global routing table? And the downside
of doing so is that sometimes we do receive packets from that address
space, usually back scatter from traceroute or other ICMP messages.

Currently about 25% of the routable address space is not advertised in
the DFZ. Loose mode RPF could filter this. Is there any data on how much
traffic actually arrives from this space?

Loose mode RPF will essentially drop traffic received on the interface
if the router does not have any route for. (will not match a default or
a discard route, at least in IOS-XR)

As Bill has pointed out, this may drop traffic from some peering
networks that are not in the global routing table. Though one could
argue that if a packet needs to be fragged it's typically closer to the
edges rather than the transit/peering links.

--
inoc.net!rblayzor
XMPP: rblayzor.AT.inoc.net