nanog mailing list archives

Re: questions asked during network engineer interview

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:55:49 +0200

On 21/Jul/20 21:21, William Herrin wrote:

The Software Defined Network concept started as, "Let's use commodity
hardware running commodity operating systems to form the control plane
for our network devices." The concept has expanded somewhat to: "Lets
use commodity hardware running commodity operating systems AS our
network devices." For example, if you build a high-rate firewall with
DPDK on Linux, that's now considered SDN since its commodity hardware,
commodity OS and custom packet handling (DPDK) that skips the OS.

This is happening a lot in the big shops like Amazon that can afford
to employ software developers to write purpose-built network code.

It's possible that I wasn't clear.

For the avoidance of doubt, "we still don't know what SDN means to us"
means "we are not sold on the snake oil".

Mark.