nanog mailing list archives

RE: questions asked during network engineer interview

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:50:30 +0100

William Herrin
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:02 PM

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 5:09 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
wrote:
We'll probably spend 95% of the time just talking about who they are,
and 5% on the role. That has worked well for me in the past decade,
and none of those hires had any "certificates" to impress me with,
even though those that didn't make it, did.

I find there's a strong INVERSE correlation between the quantity of
certificates on an applicant's resume and their ability to do the job.

One can't be an expert in many areas, (like CCIE-everything... folks)
Same as Usain Bolt can't swim like Michael Phelps...

I still have to laugh about the guy who let me know via his resume that he
was certified in setting up Kentrox CSU/DSUs.

Nice, did he also knew how to put a loop on a T1/T3 DACS (DCX) or how to do SNA to mainframe and then DLSW? :) very
useful skills these days indeed.
<sigh>technology used to be much simpler.

adam