nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Sabri Berisha <sabri () cluecentral net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 12:37:42 -0800 (PST)

----- On Jan 5, 2020, at 3:21 AM, Mark Tinka mark.tinka () seacom mu wrote:

Hi,

The question isn't about whether the kids will be using wire or
wireless... we know they will be using wireless. The question is what
that wireless will be. Something has to drive the wireless, so the wire
(mostly high-bandwidth fibre) is not going anywhere. It is the
distribution, particularly in consumer applications, that will be wireless.

That we totally agree on.

I just think that it will be more wi-fi than GSM data, simply because of
the cost of scaling out GSM data vs. the cost of running fibre to a site
and distributing connectivity via wi-fi.

My instinct tells me it will be some form of low earth orbit satellites. In
the past I worked for a GEO satellite ISP and while that technology has its
drawbacks, those are mostly resolved with transponders in LEO.

That said, in my dreams it will be something like this:
https://phys.org/news/2019-12-entanglement-long-distance-free-space-quantum.html

Imagine a world where you have one half of a quantum entangled particle in
your device, with the other half being on the ISP premises. Instant
wireless communication. I do apologize for the highly off-topic sci-fi here :)

Thanks,

Sabri