nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:08:22 +0200

On 4/Aug/20 17:45, adamv0025 () netconsultings com wrote:

Not sure what you mean NFV is NFV,

From NFV perspective cRDP is no different than vMX -it’s just a
virtualized router function nothing special…

What I meant that as we've been deploying NFV as a VM, cloud-native
means we take that VM and containerize it further. It's a further
diffusion of NFV, in my book. The benefits about the added de-layering
(if one can call it that) are left as an exercise to the operator.

Also with regards to NFV markets, it’s just CPE or telco-cloud
(routing on host, FWs, LBs and other domain specific network devices
like SBCs), and then RRs, no one sane would be replacing high
throughput aggregation points like PEs or core nodes with NFV ,unless
one wants to get into some serious horizontal scaling ;).

Well, vCPE's and vBNG's have long been the holy grail for some of us,
especially since it makes IPv6 roll-out significantly simpler.

Mark.