nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Is BGP safe yet?" test

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 17:39:18 +0200

On 20/Apr/20 17:31, Tom Beecher wrote:

( Speaking 100% for myself. )

I think it was tremendously irresponsible, especially in the context
of current events, to take a complex technical issue like this and
frame it to the general public as a 'safety' issue.

It's created articles like this
: https://www.wired.com/story/cloudflare-bgp-routing-safe-yet/ , which
are terrible because they imply that RPKI is just some simple thing
that anyone not doing is just lazy or stupid. Very few people will
read to the bottom note about vendors implementing RPKI support, or do
any other research on the issue and challenges that some companies
face to do it. It's not their job; that's ours.

I feel like there has been more momentum in getting more people to
implement PKI in the last 18-24 months. ( Maybe others with different
visibility have different opinions there. ) There are legitimate
technical and business reasons why this isn't just a switch that can
be turned on, and everyone in our industry knows that.

In my opinion, Mr. Prince is doing a great disservice by taking this
approach, and in the longer term RPKI adoption will likely be slower
than it would have been otherwise. I genuinely appreciate much of what
Cloudflare does for the sake of 'internet good' , but I believe they
wildly missed the mark here.

The issue is that due to the democratization of information, every one
is now an expert.

So if we thought something only appealed to an obvious audience, think
again.

Mark.