nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mx204 alternative

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 11:02:33 +0200

On 2/Sep/19 10:52, Brandon Martin wrote:

I try to avoid them in customer-facing applications, too.  And in
intra-network situations, I don't know why you'd be LAGging 1Gbps
links anymore.

In the backbone, we moved away from LAG's to ECMP.

The only places we run Layer 2 LAG's is on switch<=>router trunks (in
the edge), and of course, on peering routers facing the exchange point.

But yeah, MX204 and similar LCs on the chassis platforms have some
bizarre port usage/speed limitations.  Juniper has a little web page
to validate your port configurations, but it still seems easy to hit
gotchas like this.

You need to have regular lunches with your Juniper SE to get on top of
this :-)...

Mark.