nanog mailing list archives

Re: This DNS over HTTP thing

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:24:09 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood () comcast com>

The challenge of course is that in the absence of a silver bullet solution, that
people working to combat all forms of child exploitation are simultaneously
trying several things, ranging from going to the source as you suggest and
arresting people, to trying to interrupt the online tools that they may use or
that might fund/support them, etc.  So they don’t approach it as a binary
choice between trying these ecosystem measures vs going to the source – they
are working all the levers.

It is unfortunately a very difficult problem. FWIW, a recent NYT article on this
was interesting – see
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/09/28/us/child-sex-abuse.html Headline
is “The Internet Is Overrun With Images of Child Sexual Abuse. What Went Wrong?
Online predators create and share the illegal material, which is increasingly
cloaked by technology. Tech companies, the government and the authorities are
no match.”

Ah yes; the "proxies for evil" problem.

Same problem as "getting the guns" (to quote President Andrew Shepard) as a
solution for mass shootings.  (And note here that I'm a lefty; we're not
*required* to be gun-negative paranoids.)

Child molesters also make use of houses, vans, and phonecams, so lets get all
of *those* off the streets, too.

Tools are *inherently* neutral, regardless of how partisans on either side want
to paint them; even lockpicks -- or haven't you had to call a locksmith to get
you back into your car/house without breaking a window.

Tools. Are. Neutral.

Any solution to a problem that involves outlawing or breaking tools will.
Not. Solve. Your. Problem.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com