nanog mailing list archives

Re: worse than IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 17:12:01 -0700

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:30 PM John R. Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:
Can I summarize the current round of objections to my admittedly
off-beat proposal (use basically URLs rather than IP addresses in IP
packet src/dest) as:

 We can't do that! It would require changing something!

Nope.  You can summarize it as "it doesn't scale", which is what has
killed endless numbers of superficially plausible bad ideas.

And Barry's been around long enough to know this. What's up Barry? What's
the meta-argument you're trying to make here 'cause "bits is bits" is about
as smart as telling a chef that "food is food."

Regards,
Bill

--
William Herrin