nanog mailing list archives

Re: SLAAC in renumbering events

From: Fernando Gont <fgont () si6networks com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 17:53:57 -0300

Hi, Bill,

Thanks for the feedback! In-line....

On 10/3/19 13:54, William Herrin wrote:

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:32 AM Fernando Gont <fgont () si6networks com
<mailto:fgont () si6networks com>> wrote:

    If you follow the 6man working group of the IETF you may have seen a
    bunch of emails on this topic, on a thread resulting from an IETF
    Internet-Draft we published with Jan Žorž about "Reaction of Stateless
    Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC) to Renumbering Events" (Available at:
    https://github.com/fgont/draft-slaac-renum/raw/master/draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum-02.txt
     )

Hi Fernando,

I'm a little confused here. I can certainly see why the default timeout
of 30 days is a problem, but doesn't the host lose the route from the RA
sooner?

Which route?

Configuration of addresses is mostly a different business than acquiring
routes. SO, in the typical scenario where the CPE crashes and reboots,
hosts will even have a default route -- advertised by the router that
crashed and rebooted.

If you are referring to the "on-link" route -- i.e., the route
introduced because the Prefix Information Option had the "L" bit set --
then I don't think there's anything in the standard to actually
grabage-collect such routes.

Why would an IPv6 host originate connections from an address for
which it has no corresponding route? Isn't that broken source address
selection?

Please see above.

The mechanism we specified in Section 5.1.3 of our draft tries to do
exactly that: Try to detect when a previously-advertised prefix has
become stale... and when it's inferred to be stale, just remove all the
corresponding information.

Regarding fixing this issue with source address selection: some have
suggested that his should be addressed in source address selection.
However, there are a number of problems with this.

If you prioritize addresses from the prefix that was last advertised,
then source addresses are guaranteed to flap -- and in the cause of
multi-prefix networks, this would become a troubleshooting nightmare.
Secondly,  if you don't remove the on-link route for the stale-prefix,
then packets meant to the new "owners" of that prefix will be assumed to
be on-link, and hence communication will fail. This should probably be
an indication that the solution is not to avoid using the stale
information, but rather discarding it in a timelier manner.

Please do let me know if I've missed anything.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont