nanog mailing list archives

Re: CloudFlare issues?

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 07:04:12 -0700

On 6/25/19 2:25 AM, Katie Holly wrote:
Disclaimer: As much as I dislike Cloudflare (I used to complain about
them a lot on Twitter), this is something I am absolutely agreeing with
them. Verizon failed to do the most basic of network security, and it
will happen again, and again, and again...

I used to be a quality control engineer in my career, so I have a
question to ask from the perspective of a QC guy:  what is the Best
Practice for minimizing, if not totally preventing, this sort of
problem?  Is there a "cookbook" answer to this?

(I only run edge networks now, and don't have BGP to worry about.  If my
current $dayjob goes away -- they all do -- I might have to get back
into the BGP game, so this is not an idle query.)

Somehow "just be careful and clueful" isn't the right answer.