nanog mailing list archives

Re: Changing upstream providers, opinions/thoughts on 123.net and cogent

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 22:43:12 -0500

To reiterate what's been said...

I would not want to be single-homed to Cogent. They're fine (and generally useful and a reasonable use of your operating money) in a blend.

I'm not familiar with 123.net, but looking briefly at them, they appear to be a regional blend. Much preferable compared to your other option assuming they competently operate their network.

FWIW, I wouldn't WANT to be single-homed to anyone, but I'll do it when it's the right choice.

If you have to be single-homed, you really have to go with a quality upstream, and you're going to pay for it. If you have the volume and connectivity to be multi-homed, do it. It'll be better in just about every way.
--
Brandon Martin