nanog mailing list archives

Re: Changing upstream providers, opinions/thoughts on 123.net and cogent

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 19:27:16 -0800

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 5:40 PM Aaron Henderson <ahenderson () avci net> wrote:
I work for a rural ISP and the powers that be have been thinking about changing our upstream providers. The big names
on the table right now are 123.net and Cogent.

I was hoping some of you here might have experience with these providers and could share your experiences and
opinions.

Hi Aaron,

I don't know anything about 123.net.

Google "Cogent cake," "cogent sprint," and "cogent telia" for
explanations and examples of how relying on Cogent as your sole
transit provider is likely to bite you in the behind. Using them as a
secondary transit provider in a BGP-managed mix is arguably more
acceptable.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>