nanog mailing list archives

Re: sendmail.cf

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:47:40 -0800

On 2/22/19 11:27 AM, bzs () theworld com wrote:
I don't know the high-water mark for the number of IMPs or more
specifically how many existed on the NCP->TCP flag day but I'm pretty
sure the theoretical maximum was 256 tho no doubt someone had a way to
extend that. But, w/o extensive changes, 256, probably 254, not sure 0
or 255 could be an IMP number, whatever!

There was no node 0 or 255.  So the number of nodes was capped at 254.
For each node, there were subnodes so that multiple computers at each
location could be addressed.  It wasn't a full 8-bit field.