nanog mailing list archives

Re: Elephant in the room - Akamai

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 15:10:16 -0500

On Dec 7, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com> wrote:

I think this thread might be a perfect example that when an organization reaches a sufficiently large size, one part
of its engineering/operations team may no longer be fully aware of what other work groups are doing. Definitely a
structural challenge for ISPs that span very large geographical areas and services/roles.

We are a decent sized (public) company.  You can look at the # of employees if you are curious.  I am but one person
who can try to influence things.  I’ll say that if you have a few servers from us, it’s not going to serve the entire
content set that our customers have.

I do remain open to look at your individual cases and see what can be done to improve though.  The answer may be
nothing, but an e-mail also costs you little.  I’ve got several people I’m corresponding with and will continue to do
so at least until the paychecks dry up.  Given the number of questions I still field about my prior employer, it may
even last beyond that point :-)

- Jared