nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation (fwd)

From: Matt Harris <matt () netfire net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 16:49:33 -0500

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 4:37 PM Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:

Anecdotally, ARIN has, in the past, gotten involved in this sort of thing.
Many years ago, during an acquisition that went sour at the last minute,
the renegging seller went to ARIN complaining that we were hijacking his
IP space.  ARIN contacted our upstreams and pressured them to pressure us
to stop advertising the IP space.  Perhaps there's no official policy, and
perhaps they wouldn't do this today without one?

I would argue that action without an explicit official policy that outlines
the circumstances under which what action is taken is just asking for
awkward situations to arise.

- Matt