nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN GDPR lawsuit

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 20:52:05 -0400

On June 4, 2018 at 17:01 randy () psg com (Randy Bush) wrote:
once upon a time, when one received what had yet to be called spam, or
logs showed an attack, one wrote to the owner of the source ip to tell
them their system had been hacked.  dunno about everyone else, but i
stopped doing that sometime in the '80s.

I remember one night, early 1990s, watching keystrokes of a guy who'd
gotten into one of our systems and realized I knew the owner of the
system he was coming in from, a name most of you would recognize, so
called him at home at like 2AM which was appreciated.

ISTR that was the guy who was actually typing VMS commands to a unix
shell which is why I wasn't all that concerned, other than the holes
he'd used to get a shell prompt which is what I was trying to track
down.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com