nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blockchain and Networking

From: Brock Tice <brock () bmwl co>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 06:39:29 -0700

On 1/23/2018 6:17 AM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
The potential is there to go a step beyond replacing RPKI,   as a blockchain
could be the AS number authority itself,  thus eliminating the need to
have any centralized organizations for  tracking and managing
number resource assignments.
I am a long-time follower and fan of Bitcoin and I have a lot of skepticism of most of the ideas for using blockchain tech for other things. They seem like ill-thought-out solutions in search of a problem.

HOWEVER, various Internet/number authorities are sometimes a big point of contention, subject to government pressure, etc, and this is one case where I can see a trustless, distributed blockchain architecture actually improving things.

I think your email (not just the quoted part) was a good insight on the subject.

--Brock