nanog mailing list archives

Re: Blockchain and Networking

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 00:52:55 -0500

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:26 AM, Glen Kent <glen.kent () gmail com> wrote:

Do folks on this list see blockchain technology making inroads into the
networking? I can see blockchain being used to secure the SDN environment
where blockchain will allow encrypted data transfers between nodes (ones
hosting different applications, the SDN controller, the data plane devices)
regardless of the network size or its geographical distribution.

Hi Glen,

I'm having trouble envisioning a scenario where blockchain does that any
better than plain old PKI.

Blockchain is great at proving chain of custody, but when do you need to do
that in computer networking?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>