nanog mailing list archives

Re: Attacks from poneytelecom.eu

From: "Radu-Adrian Feurdean" <nanog () radu-adrian feurdean net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 12:56:27 +0100

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018, at 06:46, Tim Burke wrote:
AS12876 is online.net... home of the €2.99 physical server, perfect for
all of your favorite illegitimate activity. I’m curious how much traffic
originates from that ASN that is actually legitimate... probably close
to none.

For you, in US, probably not so much, but you should really check.
For us, here in France, Online is one of the 2 top hosting providers (they even have several neutral datacenters where
they lease racks/cages/datarooms) with a quite enough of legitimate traffic. I say enough, since 10's of MBps of
traffic to classic (locally) well-known sites is easily hidden by spikes due to file transfer (they are also popular
here for hosting private off-site backups - they actually even have an archiving service) or bittorrent.

I also saw a mention of Iliad, their parent company, stock-listed (ILD on EuroNext Paris), as "buletproof hosting". You
should note that they also own one of the top 4 ISPs here in France and one of the 4 frequence-owning mobile operators.
But those run each on separate networks.

One should probably do some minimal research on non-US companies before accusing.

PS: No, I don't work for them. Just happen to be personally a customer of 3 of the Iliad-owned companies (Online.net
being one of them).