nanog mailing list archives

Re: China ’s Maxim – Leave No Access Point Unexploited: The Hidden Story of China Telecom’ s BGP Hijacking

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 17:14:16 -0800

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

They forgot to mention that it's technically possible to filter
advertisements from their customer. Which apparently they were/are
not really doing.

luckily, CT is the only isp not doing good filtering, or we would
be having mis-originations and route leaks every day.  oh, wait.

Perhaps what you meant to say here was:

“Then you should say what you mean,” the March Hare went on.

I know. I guess my point was: "Hey, maybe now we can get people's
attention?"

my point is that over 20 years of continuing mis-originations and leaks
seem not to move the needle very far.  heck, you were jacked/leaked
maybe ten or so days ago in about the same way you were jacked/leaked
some time back.  and you will be again.

and those mean, nasty, godless, commie, ... chinese have no worse
hygiene than 94.3% of the internet.  non-chinese just love to get
hysterical and accusatory when some prc isp does what almost everyone
else is doing multiple times a day.

and focusing on china telecom is a red herring, because damned near
everyone leaks.  and it is the everyone who has to change.  doughnut,
hole.

randy

Never waste a good outage to get buy-in for resources to get something good
done.

And if you have to pull that natsec fire alarm to move rpki to enforcing or
dropping networks with repeated bad hygiene, so be it