nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Loopback/Point-to-Point address allocation

From: Enno Rey <erey () ernw de>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 13:58:10 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 02:25:04PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
On 10 September 2017 at 13:56, Thomas Bellman <bellman () nsc liu se> wrote:

An alternative is to just have link-local addresses on your point-to-
point links.  At least on your internal links where you run your IGP.
On external links, where you run eBGP or static routes, it's probably
more trouble than it is worth, though, since link-local addresses can
change if you replace the hardware, requiring a config change on the
other end.  (Also, I'm not sure all BGP implementations support using
link-local addresses.)

all BGP implementations I'm aware of do that (support LLAs), BUT at least Cisco's doesn't support using the same LLAs
in multiple BGP sessions (e.g. on PE-CE links) which in turn ruins the potential benefits in many environments, see
https://ripe72.ripe.net/presentations/122-ERNW_RIPE72_IPv6wg_RFC7404.pdf
https://blog.apnic.net/2016/05/31/beauty-ipv6-link-local-addressing-not/

This is solvable problem. Vendors support 'bgp listen' or 'bgp allow'
to accept BGP session from specific CIDR range. Similarly you could
allow IPv6 on interface, with SADDR anywhere in link-local. Your own
end link-local stability you could guarantee by manually configuring
MAC address, instead of using BIA. I.e. customers would experience
stable DADDR, but we wouldn't care about customer's SADDR.

However I don't think market would generally appreciate the
implications linklocal brings to traceroute, where least bad option
would be just to originate hop-limit exceeded from loop0, with no
visibility on actual interface.

some might be willing to accept that, as a trade-off for other benefits operations-wise.

best

Enno

--
Enno Rey

ERNW GmbH - Carl-Bosch-Str. 4 - 69115 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 173 6745902

Handelsregister Mannheim: HRB 337135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Matthias Luft, Enno Rey

Blog: www.insinuator.net || Conference: www.troopers.de
Twitter: @Enno_Insinuator