nanog mailing list archives

RE: ospf database size - affects that underlying transport mtu might have

From: Richard Vander Reyden via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 22:50:37 +0000

This is a *single area* ospf environment, that has been stable for years.
But now suddenly is having issues with new ospf neightbor adjacencies , which are riding a 3rd party transport
network

I have seen this in the lab before, was related to the size of the LSA.

Anyone ever experienced anything strange with underlying transport network mtu possibly causing ospf neighbor
adjacency to be broken ?  I'm asking if the underlying 3rd party transport layer 2 network
has a smaller mtu than the endpoint ospf ip interface have, could this cause those ospf neighbors to not fully
establish ?

You can check this with a ping of your mtu size set with the df bit set

.and I'm also asking this if the single ospf area has grown large enough to cause some
sort of initial database packet to be larger than that underlying 3rd party mtu is providing

If you have a large amount of routers in your area the LSA size will grow, we saw a problem in testing when we injected
2000 prefixes into the area and the OSPF neighbour would not come up.  On a cisco router you can set 'buffers huge' as
a work around.

Richard