nanog mailing list archives

Re: Commodity routers/switches

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 19:02:50 -0800

On 11/18/17 17:55, mike.lyon () gmail com wrote:
Howdy!

Looking to replace some edge routers for my small ISP. With all the various SDN platforms available along with
various choices of bare-metal hardware platforms, im thinking i may go this route instead of going with
Cisco/Juniper/Etc.

I only need a handful of 10G uplinks. The SuperMicro SSE-G3648B and the Penguin Arctica Network switches appear to
fit my needs.

I am eyeing Cumulus Linux to run on these, but that isn’t set in stone.

They’ll likely be getting 2 full tables along with some peers.
afaik if these are consistent with other t2/tomahawk/helix switches
they're roughly 200K alpm routes installed or as few as 16K. if you
install selected routes and otherwise default  or this is a peering only
router, that can get you pretty far but it's not a full table by any means.

https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Routing (cumulous details
on route table size and alpm routes)
Has anyone run SuperMicro or Penguin hardware with Cumulus in this type of scenario?

What were your experiences? How is BGP convergence time on x86 hardware these days?

control plane on the switches mentioned about is 2GB of ram and a dual
core atom, so it's fine more or less for a datacenter TOR. It's not
particularly powerful. I find out particular tooling doesn't run that
well in 4GB any more so your milage may vary.

the supermicro should bear a striking  resemblance to the dell 3048 that
was splayed open here

http://eoinpk.blogspot.com/2015/08/under-hood-of-dell-s3048-on.html

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank You,