nanog mailing list archives

Re: Waste will kill ipv6 too

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 09:00:17 -0800

ok. I think a bunch of the analysis so far in this thread has basically
assumed dense packing at teh ISP and RIR level.. which really won't happen,
in practice anyway. I was simply stating that if we follow some of the
examples today it's no where near as certain (I think) that '200' is ok to
assume.

200 might be optimistic, agreed. I think 100 is pretty well assured absent
something much more profligate than current policies.

A larger point is: "so what?”

Agreed.

we've run a number conversion / renumbering once... we can do it again,
better the second time, right? :) Maybe this next time we'll even plan
based on lessons learned in the v4 -> v6 slog?

Technically, we’ve run one, we’re running a second one now, and yeah,
hopefully lessons learned can play a part.

Of course this also ignores the third transition which included a numbering
transition as enterprises went from running everything else (x.25, vines,
IPX, DECNET, AppleTalk, etc.) to IP.

Owen