nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: Bryan Holloway <bryan () shout net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 17:03:36 -0600

Comcast, at least in my neck of the woods, hands out /56s.

On 12/19/17 4:03 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
On 12/19/2017 01:55 PM, William Herrin wrote:
Providers assigning a single /64 or a /128 to an always-on customer are
doing it wrong. You know who you are.

The cable ISP that I had (prior to moving) assigned a single /64 for the outside of the router.  I could also request provider delegation for something that I could use internally breaking into multiple /64s.  I just don't remember if it was a /56 or /60.

The point being that the outside of the SOHO router and the inside PD were two different DHCP processes, both of which needed to happen.