nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 15:03:19 -0700

On 12/19/2017 01:55 PM, William Herrin wrote:
Providers assigning a single /64 or a /128 to an always-on customer are
doing it wrong. You know who you are.

The cable ISP that I had (prior to moving) assigned a single /64 for the outside of the router. I could also request provider delegation for something that I could use internally breaking into multiple /64s. I just don't remember if it was a /56 or /60.

The point being that the outside of the SOHO router and the inside PD were two different DHCP processes, both of which needed to happen.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die