nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lawsuits for falsyfying DNS responses ?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:03:44 -0400

On 2016-09-13 03:42, LHC wrote:
I believe that the CRTC has rules against censorship - meaning that Videotron, Bell etcetera have a choice between
following the CRTC code or the provincial law (following one = sanctions from the other), rendering internet service
provision to Québec impossible without being a dialup provider from out-of-province.

Canada's Telecom Act (*) dates from 1993, which predates the Internet
being a primary transporter that drives the economy.

The clause being looked at by the CRTC is 36:

Content of Messages

36 Except where the Commission approves otherwise, a Canadian carrier
shall not control the content or influence the meaning or purpose of
telecommunications carried by it for the public.

There is not explicit clause about a carrier not modyfying content or
blocking access, so one has to frame an issue to fit existing clauses.

Please explain to me how one modifies a request or response without
managing to “control the content” or “influence the meaning or purpose”?

Blocking a request or simply failing to answer MIGHT be within the law,
but returning a false record certainly seems to me that it would run afoul
of the law cited.

Owen