nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS in the campus Network?

From: James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:40:33 -0400

On Oct 21, 2016, at 4:18 PM, Youssef Ghorbal <youssef.ghorbal () gmail com> wrote, in part:

Until people start complaining they can no more auto discover their
Time Capsule left in the other building whereas their colleagues in
the other building can etc etc. All fancy discover protocols breaks
without L2 continuity !

Minor Correction:  Correctly configured*, an Airport Extreme basestation (Time Capsule or not) does not require L2
connectivity to discover. In fact, Wide Area is used for discovery of many services not necessarily reachable by L2
connectivity. Apple’s Back to My Mac service is one example.

*Apple’s "Back to My Mac” Wide Area Bonjour is enabled on an Airport basestation by entering appropriate Apple ID and
password data in the Base Station tab as accessed by Airport Utility.

James R. Cutler
James.cutler () consultant com
PGP keys at http://pgp.mit.edu