nanog mailing list archives

Re: DataCenter color-coding cabling schema

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 14:52:03 -0400

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:15:29 -0700, Owen DeLong said:
On Mar 13, 2016, at 20:58 , Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Especially if you drop it and it manages to bounce through a cutout in the
raised floor.  That's got to be the single best reason for overhead cabling. :)

Because it’s faster if you have to climb down off a ladder first before pulling
up the floor tiles to track down the roll of tape?

Oh, you mean that’s the single best reason for overhead COOLING. :P

The tiles intended for cold air flow have lots of little 1/4" or so holes
in them that a roll of tape can't fall through.  The roll of tape *can*
escape through the 6x6 cable cutout under the rack if there aren't too
many cables in the way.  If we had overhead cabling and under-floor cooling,
we'd have no large cutouts anyplace. :)

(Alas, the data center across the hall is 27 years old, and we'll need to
build a new one to fix it.  Someday soon, maybe. :)