nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Exchanges supporting jumbo frames?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:22:34 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016, Saku Ytti wrote:

On 10 March 2016 at 02:44, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net> wrote:
You're wrong here.  The IXP switch platform cannot send ICMP Packet Too Big
messages.  That's why everybody must agree on one MTU.

I think what was meant, no global consensus is needed, each IXP can
decide themselves what is edgeMTU and coreMTU VLAN MTU sizes in /this/
IXP. Heck, have customers vote on webpage. I guess edgeMTU obviously
will be 1500, coreMTU something else, 4470, 9000 and 9100 seem like

9180 (L3 MTU) is the obvious choice. All major core routing platforms support it, and it's used in at least two "classic" L2 protocols (see my earlier email).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se