nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP and Optical domains?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 10:29:36 +0200

On 22/Jun/16 10:20, Masataka Ohta wrote:

By not managing transport characteristics at all except
that links are on or off (or, if you want to guarantee QoS,
a little more than that).

But how do Layer 3 protocols manage transport characteristics today?

Unless I misunderstand your statement.

L3 protocols know links are off if L2 operators actively
turn them off or if the protocols detect consecutive lack
of L3 HELO generated frequently enough.

L2 operators turns links off for maintenance and
BER degradations need unscheduled maintenance.

Again, this does not seem too removed from what happens already today.

Unless I misunderstand what you are saying.

I'm afraid "heavily" implies a lot less utilization.

I don't disagree with what you imply by "heavily". What I am saying is
"a lot less" or "a lot more" is not a universal measure. It means
different things to different people, as business operations (which
largely drive this kind of thing) differ widely.

Mark.