nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: John Peach <john-nanog () peachfamily net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 11:08:13 -0400

The whois information on the HE IPv6 address, does give the location.
At least, it does on mine.

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 11:03:16 -0400
Spencer Ryan <sryan () arbor net> wrote:

As an addendum to this and what someone said earlier about the
tunnels not being anonymous: From Netflix's perspective they are. Yes
HE knows who controls which tunnel, but if Netflix went to HE and
said "Tell me what user has xxxxx/48" HE would say "No". Thus, making
them an effective anonymous VPN service from Netflix's perspective.

*Spencer Ryan* | Senior Systems Administrator | sryan () arbor net
*Arbor Networks*
+1.734.794.5033 (d) | +1.734.846.2053 (m)
www.arbornetworks.com