nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Damian Menscher <menscher () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 16:45:56 -0700

On 2016-06-05 22:48, Damian Menscher wrote:

What *is* standard about them?  My earliest training as a sysadmin taught
me that any time you switch away from a default setting, you're venturing
into the unknown.  Your config is no longer well-tested; you may
experience
strange errors; nobody else will have seen the same bugs.

That's exactly what's happening here -- people are setting up IPv6 tunnel
broker connections, then complaining that there are unexpected side
effects.

There are a lot of non technical Netflix users who are being told to turn
off IPv6, switch ISPs, get a new VPN, etc. because Netflix has a broken
system.  Those users don't care what IPv6 is, they just learn that it's bad
because it breaks Netflix.  Most users have no way to change these things
and they just aren't going to be able to use Netflix anymore.

Who are these non-technical Netflix users who accidentally stumbled into
having a HE tunnel broker connection without their knowledge?  I wasn't
aware this sort of thing could happen without user consent, and would like
to know if I'm wrong.  Only thing I can imagine is if ISPs are using HE as
a form of CGN.

Another question: what benefit does one get from having a HE tunnel broker
connection?  Is it just geek points, or is there a practical benefit too?

Damian